"God is most glorified in you when you are most satisfied in him in the midst of loss, not prosperity." --John Piper

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Hey Ref, that was not a foul!

Matt Chandler offers the following in one of his sermons...

Religious people, they're like referees. They don't score any points, they don't sweat, they don't play, they know nothing of the highs and lows of the game. They just run around blowing their whistle. And when they retire, no one cares.

The only problem with it is there is always another one.

I have heard him say that church can be a hinderance to conversion. Amen, Matt!

I struggle sometime with what to do regarding church. I don't want to be a part of the problem, but running from what God has ordained is not the answer either, at least not in my heart.

So I work. Slowly. Waiting. Sometimes in anguish. Until He leads somewhere else or until He comes again, I work. Not because it somehow makes me better in His eyes, but because I love Him and His bride.

So I slaughtered a sacred cow in the process. That was not a foul, Ref.

2 comments:

kc bob said...

There is but one Referee.. and we ain't Him :)

Gregg Metcalf said...

I agree, there ain't no vacancy in the Trinity. But let me say I have slaughtered a few "sacred cows" in the past and it may not be no foul, but it can be hazardous to your health.