"God is most glorified in you when you are most satisfied in him in the midst of loss, not prosperity." --John Piper

Thursday, December 24, 2009

A Long Journey. Part 8 (Drifting)

Leaving that job was difficult on a number of levels. I was an adult, yet had no place to go. I suppose I could have looked for employment in that area, but I did not have the desire to stay there. My wife had some family about 90 miles away, so we decided to move in with them and look for employment there.


My wife's sister's husband was a preacher. So moving there meant getting involved in a church again. They hired me as a part-time youth minister for a while. But once I found a decent job I gave that up. I still went to church there and still worked with the youth, but not as their employee.


There was a family in the church who liked to rule things. They felt that the minister was not under their thumb, so they fired him. This upset the congregation, so they changed their mind. However, it was only a matter of time until they fired him again. By this time were were in a place of our own and both working.


Of course, this ended up splitting the church. About 90 people out of a congregation of 120 left. My wife and I did not know what we would do. We were comfortable lifing in the area and had decent jobs, but it was not what we really thought we would be doing. We were just drifting, going with the flow until something changed.


Next: Coming Together

No comments: