"God is most glorified in you when you are most satisfied in him in the midst of loss, not prosperity." --John Piper

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Yes He is.






We are finishing up a study in Philippians (video series by Matt Chandler)in our Sunday School class. In the 11th session, he goes into detail about the life of the Apostle Paul. Wow! What a guy. Such highs and such lows, and through it all he manages to stay focused on the cross.


I want that.


Not that I want the pain, but I want the ability to be content regardless of circumstance. I am tired of being comfortable. God calls me to learn contentment, not live in comfort.


When there is so much of God to be had, why do we settle for finite things that in the end never do satisfy?

3 comments:

Gregg Metcalf said...

C. S. Lewis answers your question - "We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition, when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

Lewis says we are far too easily pleased. We settle when God offers to us infinite joy. God offers Himself – the greatest treasure that could ever be obtained.

Spherical said...

Great quote, I recall John Piper used it in his book "Desiring God." Where I struggle is in the complete application of this.

Even Paul must have struggled with this as he states in Philippians, "Not that I have already obtained this..." I guess that is where comfort and contentment clash. I cannot think that I have obtained it yet! Too often we want the Christian faith to be attainable, but once it is attainable it loses its power.

Thanks for the thoughts!

kc bob said...

Contentment costs us.. sometimes He takes us to places where we do not wish to go.. finding contentment in those places requires a bit of humility.. not that I have any experience with that :)