"God is most glorified in you when you are most satisfied in him in the midst of loss, not prosperity." --John Piper

Thursday, May 13, 2010

A Long Journey (Part 16) Living Up to the Ultimatum

It was the fourth session where things came to a head. It was this session where the counselor suggested that he see her on her own, because there were some things he wanted to work on without me there. He even told her that it did not have to be with him, that he could recommend a female counselor. She said no. She knew she had issues, had been to counseling before, and it didn't and wouldn't do any good. So, no way.


The ride home was quiet. When we got home, the kids were ready for bed. We sat in the kitchen and talked. But it all boiled down to one thing, nothing was going to change if some counseling was not pursued. And she was adamant that she would not be going back to any counseling, joint or individual. I had already stated that if we did not do something to fix our issues, I could not continue to remain in this relationship. Our marriage was over. It was more sad than angry at this point. I don't think she believed I would stick to it, but I did not feel as though I had a choice. I was not only thinking about me, but about my son as well.


I left that night. I gathered a few things and stayed in a motel. The next day I made arrangements to stay with a friend for a while until I decided what to do.


Next: Deciding what to do.

No comments: