"God is most glorified in you when you are most satisfied in him in the midst of loss, not prosperity." --John Piper

Friday, November 26, 2010

Follow him

Jn 1:35-39

John the Baptist has baptized Jesus, and sees him walking by. John was with 2 of his disciples, and he nudges them and points to Jesus. "Behold, the Lamb of God."

What would you say if you were one of the disciples with John? We have no record if they said anything at all. Just that they heard and left him to follow Jesus. I wonder if this was John's intent, to show them who they should really be following. Had there been conversations? After all, John was sent to prepare the way. Was a part of that preparation getting these specific men ready to follow Jesus. Was this John's way of saying, "What are you waiting for, there He is!"

Jesus turns and sees them following and asks an interesting question, one that they don't answer, "What are you seeking?" I think it is a legitimate question, especially since He knew who He was, and at this point they really don't understand all of the implications of who He was.

I wonder what my answer would have been, had Jesus asked me that question on the day I began to follow Him. I wonder if, like the disciples, I would have not said anything. I don't know what I am seeking, Rabbi, but there is just something about you.

So they (the disciples) instead ask him where He is staying. Jesus replies, "Come and you will see."

They did not know what they were getting themselves into. They probably didn't even know what they were looking for. But they were willing to take the risk. They saw something that drew them in.

I wonder if it still shouldn't be that way today. Just Christians living like Jesus, drawing in followers by lives that reveal the glory of God. Not everyone is going to follow, Jesus didn't bat 100% either. But it didn't change who He was or how He approached others. As a matter of fact, He sometimes said the hard things that drove people away. I believe you might call that "pruning."

So they came and saw where he was staying, and they stayed with him that day. It must have been enough, for they continued to follow him even after that day.

1 comment:

kc bob said...

I so agree with this:

"They saw something that drew them in."

In all of my life.. in the bad days and the good.. when people broke my heart and when they lifted me up.. In everything I have found that Jesus still captivates me at all levels.. his life, his teaching, his ministry, his death and his resurrection draw me in.. he gives me hope and a reason to live.