"God is most glorified in you when you are most satisfied in him in the midst of loss, not prosperity." --John Piper

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Tough Questions

I was on a friend's blog, and happened upon a post written a while ago that I had not read, regarding comments made by an anonymous person in regard to a post on Stephen Hawking's Spontaneous Creation.

I enjoyed the banter that the post created, and thought I would tackle some of those issues for a few posts.

The first question asked is, "Who created God?"

In the tradition of Eastern teachers, let me respond with some questions of my own...

Which is easier to believe, that the universe has always been here, or that God has always been? Both take faith. If we say that the universe came into existence at some point, then we still have to answer the question, Where did it get its materials? Why can someone not accept that God did not have to be created, but can accept that the universe did not have to be created?

Many times when someone is debating such issues, they will say things like, "According to our current understanding of ..." So I will ask another question. How much understanding of the universe do we really have? 10%? I doubt it. Have you really considered the size of the universe? 1%? I still doubt it. We would probably like to think we know more than that, but how would we know? What if there are other substances on those planets, how would we know? Didn't we use to think that the universe was infinite, but know I hear people say that there are other universes out there. Have we just changed our definitions? We do like to shrink things to make us look bigger. Just ask God.

How does the finite understand the infinite? I believe the answer is that it can't. It can only understand within the limits of its own knowledge. And I am starting to guess that even with all of today's technological genius, that we haven't yet come close to even a 1% understanding the infinite, both God and the universe.

I will end with one last question. What do you want most out of life? I think if most people were honest, they would say "to know that this is not all there is."  If we knew, I think that would change things. And maybe that is exactly why we don't know. If there is a God, He gets to make the rules.

I know what my daughter wants for Christmas. It is a doll that used to belong to her grandma, my mom, who died before my daughter turned 1. She has begged, pleaded, and even took out her change purse and offered to buy the doll. I know that one day soon it will be hers. I look forward to the joy she finds when that gift is finally given to her. I think that the waiting maybe even will increase her joy when it is received. But for today, I get to make the rules. Not that I lord that over her, but I think there is prudence in waiting for the right time.

Ecclesiastes 3:11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end.


There is a certain amount of humility in admitting that we don't know it all. I'm okay with that.

No comments: