"God is most glorified in you when you are most satisfied in him in the midst of loss, not prosperity." --John Piper

Friday, February 4, 2011

I opened my Bible and this Jesus popped out!

Chapter 1, parts 3 and 4 of Radical, by David Platt

In this section he talks about how we rationalize and redefine the tough teachings of Jesus. I cannot help but think of Aaron when Moses confronted him about the golden calf. "So they gave it (their gold) to me, and I threw it in the fire, and out came this calf." Do you think Moses was buying it?

And what of the Jesus that we have cast in our own image? Shall we answer God, "I opened up my Bible, and this is the Jesus that popped out!" Not even the best salesman could sell that one to God.

There is a tone to this section. A tone that says, "He is worthy." To be worthy implies that something has value. And it is only when we see the infinite value of Christ that we can truly worship Him. It is only when we see His infinite value that we can look at the things we hold on to and realize their worthlessness.

A thought occurs to me. If Jesus told the parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus, which one would we be?

No comments: