"God is most glorified in you when you are most satisfied in him in the midst of loss, not prosperity." --John Piper

Thursday, February 3, 2011

It's a wrap!

I am reading the final 2 chapters today, so I can wrap this up.

With all the snow, I have a little extra time on my hands, and I think it is time to wrap this one up. I have quite a few books waiting on me.

Chapter 11 starts out with a great illustration of the importance of Scripture. He talkes about holding a meeting for house church leaders in China. How they long for the freedom to meet that we have. But Wayne will not pray that they become like us, instead he says he will pray that we become like them, willing to travel 13 hours to attend a meeting, sit on the floor instead of padded chairs, no air, having to commit Scripture to memory because it is illegal to possess a Bible. Committed, in other words, and not just adding God to our todo list for the week, if it fits into our schedules.

Chapter 12 talks about the need to have the Holy Spirit involved in the process. I do like the illustration of the seminary student from Uganda, who had witnessed many horrible things as a Christian, and then came to the states to study. He quotes, "We came to gether not for confession or forgiveness, but for debate." Where once the Scriptures were depended upon, now they were another one of the many things that fill our lives. Somehow, we need to get back to depending on them.

Overall, I rate this book average. If it is a topic of need or interest for an individual, maybe a little above average. So maybe 5 1/2 out of 10. If you are looking for illustrations, maybe more.

No comments: