"God is most glorified in you when you are most satisfied in him in the midst of loss, not prosperity." --John Piper

Friday, March 25, 2011

God's Grace

Ephesians 2:6-7

and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.

God displays His kindness and mercy through His grace, and lest we think that is a small thing, Paul gives us a peek at what that means...

God raised (past tense, so does this mean that it is a done deal and we cannot lose His grace? Let the debating begin!) us up and seated us with Him in heavenly places. That is what grace does for us. It puts us in an incredible place. Grace is not just about forgiveness, it is about the glory of God. What will I do when I realize the fullness of His grace, because as it stands now, I only see a part of it? I have to believe I will praise Him for His greatness. Even though I cannot understand the fullness of this grace, I can already praise Him for it. In fact, I should be doing this. Why else would Paul take the time to share this vision?

But poor old me, I too often get caught up in that which is "by sight." That is where His word inspires me. That is where the word of a good preacher can lift me up. (Note: I said "good preacher," because I have heard some who definitely bring me down.)

So that in the coming ages I might see His "immeasurable" grace. Are you kidding me? Immeasurable? So that no matter how long I spend in heaven, even if it is eternity, I will still not get to see the full size of His grace? I want that. I want the giver of that grace. No wonder Paul said, "to live is Christ, to die is gain."

No comments: