"God is most glorified in you when you are most satisfied in him in the midst of loss, not prosperity." --John Piper

Saturday, December 26, 2009

A Long Journey, Part 12 (...and the universe went crash)

This one might get a bit hard to follow, because some of the events took place at different times. Oh well...


After about 4 years at this church, the youth started to take off. What had been 6-8 kids on a Sunday night was now 30, with 6-8 kids now being the core group. But the minister had left. My mentor. The replacement, let's just say he was not a mentor. I was offered the preaching position, but turned it down because my heart was in Youth Ministry. I don't think that set well with the replacement. Oh well...


I was spending a lot of time with "youth stuff." There were meetings and attending youth ball games and activities, youth conventions and even meetings to work on youth conventions. 60-70 hours a week was not unusual, if not more. See where this is going? Yup, I was neglecting my own family. So it is no wonder that we began arguing more. Something was going on, but I didn't have the time to or didn't want to see it. Oh well...


She said she needed to go and visit her parents. She came back a week later with a restraining order and I had to get out. I was in the process of losing my job, my family, maybe even my faith. It was a difficult time.


FAST FORWARD: It was not until about 9 years later that any hidden suspicions were confirmed. She had been having an affair with a friend of mine. I found this out because he had threatened to kill her and tried to commit suicide. He called me from the psych ward. He needed to unburden himself. He asked me for a favor. Could I bring him something so he could finish the job? I went, but not in response to his request. I needed to forgive him.


REWIND: I was given two months 2 find a new job. I went to school to learn to drive a tractor trailer. The divorce costs were eating me alive and I needed something to pay the mounting bills. It was the best and worst job ever. Too much time to think, and then again not enough. My Bible and journal became my constant companions. My son was 3 at the time, so I would see him anytime I was in the area. He loved trucks.


The story doesn't end here, there is so much more. But I am going to take a break from it for a while. One thing I have learned from this is how God's hand is in everything. He has been so patient with me. I am thankful for that. He made me (but did he have to make me so pig-headed?).

2 comments:

kc bob said...

Wow! Look forward to reading more when you pick the story back up.

Mark (under construction) said...

The jornal would be an interesting read ... my friend. peace.