"God is most glorified in you when you are most satisfied in him in the midst of loss, not prosperity." --John Piper

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Faith

Galatians 3:23 says, "Before this faith came, we were held prisoners by the law, locked up until faith should be revealed."


I have lots of questions about this verse. Like, was there a time before faith? Was there a time when people were acting only in obedience, not acting in faith or at least not knowing that it was faith? And where does this place Abraham? Was he acting in faith or obedience? Seems like there had to be an element of faith when he went to sacrifice his son, through whom he expected the promise to be fulfilled. Was that the first inkling, the first revelation of faith that this verse speaks of, or is it speaking of a time under Christ, whereas now faith is revealed to us?


Whatever the case, it seems that faith rules supreme. Paul states in verse 26 that our sonship under God comes through faith in Jesus.


I think that there are some who still don't see the revelation of faith. They still pursue God through works. I thin that is one reason the book of Galatians was written. I think I too still struggle with trying to earn God's approval. Perhaps that is why the Bible speaks so much on rest.


Psalm 46:10  "Be still and know that I am God.


Maybe instead of slowing down, I need to stop for awhile.

1 comment:

kc bob said...

I sometimes wonder if faith is more of a response then an initiation. Maybe faith is simply responding to the Holy Spirit?