"God is most glorified in you when you are most satisfied in him in the midst of loss, not prosperity." --John Piper

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Giddy up Horsey

I am in Chapter 6 of "The Divine Mentor" by Wayne Cordiero. I feel like I am on a slow moving horse. While that are some good statements in the chapter, the reading seems tedious because perhaps the horse I am on has been beat to death by now. Follow his perscription for daily devotions, and all will be well with God.

Some nuggets along the way....

"Busyness is often equated with success." This is especially true in ministry, isn't it?

"The Bible is the predominant way God speaks to us." Is it? I agree that God sometimes chooses tospeak to us through the Bible, but I am not willing to limit God in this area.
"Don't leave Scripture's lesser-visited mentors feeling alone and abandoned." I like that thought, that there are some books of the Bible that get less attention than others, but shouldn't. But we could almost break that down on a by-verse basis as well. Some verses "speak" to us, while others don't seem to say as much. Is that God, or is it selective hearing?

That's all for Chapter 6. At least for me. Yee Haw!

4 comments:

kc bob said...

Over the years I have spent a lot of the time in the old testament and now wish that I spent more time in the new testament. My thinking is that the OT is only profitable when it is interpreted through the NT. Hence we must spend more time in the NT to really contextualize the teachings of the OT. It presents a challenge when reading programs emphasize reading the bible in a year and treats both OT and NT equally.

Spherical said...

Until lately, I have largely neglected the bulk of the OT, and I really regret that. I know all of the "popular" stories, but have found so many interesting and some downright challenging ones as well. And God does speak through them all.

kc bob said...

A few years ago I read the bible in 90 days and thought that was a good way to read the OT because of the way that it helped me see the bigger story. But if you enjoy delving into the begats and the minutiae of the law I say go for it. :)

Spherical said...

I am not a big fan of the minute details, but I have made a commitment to read through the OT, and only have 1 and 2 Chronicals to go. It was not always easy, and I have no idea how long it took. I have continued to do my devotionals out of the NT, but have much highlighted material to go back over once I am through. And I really have enjoyed it.