"God is most glorified in you when you are most satisfied in him in the midst of loss, not prosperity." --John Piper

Monday, January 31, 2011

Wash behind your ears

"For a lifetime of growth, continual learning is an essential." (Page 101) As an educator, this is a truth for all types of growth, not just Spiritual growth.

"Consistently make your learning greater than your experience by defining each occurence and setback biblically." (Page 101) Great advice

He gives an acrostic for journaling, S.O.A.P. Scripture, Observation, Application, Prayer (Page 102) While I am not one for formulas or one-size-fits-all type of answers, I find that this could be very helpful to many who are starting a journaling type of activity.

"The question is never, 'Does God speak?' but rather 'Am I listening?'" (Page 104)I think of my classroom experience. My teaching is of little value if I cannot get my students to actively listen. And so, we must actively listen to God.

"The Pharisees had extensive knowledge of and intimate familiarity with the details of God's word . . .while missing the whole point!" (Page 106) Do we really think that the religious majority today are exempt from such error? Do we think that we are exempt? He speaks of a pastor friend who had an affair. The friend admitted that he was only studying the Bible for sermon material, and not for personal growth. I love the line, "it left me starving even though I was overseeing an orchard." Active listening is a must.

No comments: