"God is most glorified in you when you are most satisfied in him in the midst of loss, not prosperity." --John Piper

Friday, January 28, 2011

I have read Chapter 4, but am not sure what to say about it. It seems to be pressing the same point, just with different illustrations. Which, by the way, I have already heard many of because our preacher has read this book.

I do appreciate that he clarifies on page 55 that personal Bible reading alone is not the end all, but that in order to gain from it one must meditate on what was read. This, I think, is the hard part for many. Some people just have a hard time recalling things they have read.

He concludes the chapter by quoting a friend who once told him, "The secret of growing in divine wisdom is to come to God stupid. Tell him you don't know a thing. Tell him you need to know how to think, how to tie your shoes, how to win friends and influence anybody!" (Page 63) As a public school teacher, I would love to take that quote, take out the the word divine, replace the word God with class, and plaster it all over my room. And as a parent, well, you get the idea. I think the closest I get to understanding God sometimes is when I am put in roles that He has over me. He certainly is a patient and incredible God.

5 comments:

kc bob said...

I am sometimes a bit leery of pastor types because they are a bit bookish in their approach to spirituality. Sometimes they make reading the bible and end in and of itself. And sometimes I get the impression that they study only as a means to prepare a sermon. Not sure which is more problematic. Guess I would to seem them proactively interacting with the flock more. I know, I dream.

Spherical said...

I recently heard a pastor say "85 percent of what I write in my journal ends up in my sermons." I struggle with that, because of what you just said. It is not necessarily a bad thing, but it just makes one wonder at the motive behind the act.

kc bob said...

Some of the pastors I have worked with schedule an entire day for sermon prep. My thinking is that they would do better to spend less time let their sermons flow from their journals (and other places) and spend more of their time ministering to the flock.

Unfortunately many called to pastor have a predominate teaching gift and find more joy in reading and public speaking than interacting with people. Public ministry and the need to be seen is a huge seduction in the church.

<>

Spherical said...

Amen. We had mentioned to the pastor about 2 months ago a desire to join the church, but we wanted to meet first as I had a few questions. We still have not met, but he did once tell me as I was walking out of service that he is very busy.

kc bob said...

The so-called clerical professionalism often insulates pastors from the flock. Sad that he cannot make time for you when he is off the clock.