"God is most glorified in you when you are most satisfied in him in the midst of loss, not prosperity." --John Piper

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Two for Thursday

I had a little extra time on my hands today, a rarity, so I read another chapter. For this post, I have decided to look at some positives and negatives. We will start with the positives.

POSITIVES:
  • Boldness. "The refusal of this responsibility (to self-feed on the Word as opposed to relying on being spoon fed through other sources) opens the floodgates for a codependency of sorts - one that requires others to don the responsibilities God intends for every person." (Page 40) I agree. I think that too many people depend on their understanding of God and belief systems on someone or something else. Do you ever think it funny how preachers of a particular denomination tend to agree on so many key doctrinal issues? I think that sometimes our dependancy goes beyond just depending on the preacher. I think that preachers can also be codependent on denominations, books, particular authors, etc.
  • Truth. "knowledge is never an end in itself. It must be converted into a higher form - wisdom - for it to become useful and beneficial to us. To that end, God sends us the Holy Spirit" (Page 43) So reading the Bible is not and end in itself. That requires humility, because I do believe that there are those who approach the reading of the Word with the idea that they can find answers hidden in there, sometimes answers which were never intended. If we do not approach the Word with a great deal of humility, I don't believe that blessing will follow. And to assume that all who read it do it with humility would be a grave error.
  • Wisdom. "Your inheritance is what God has in store for you" (Page 48) Call me silly, but I just love it when the realization that God is in complete control come through.
NEGATIVES:
  • I really just have one thought here as I read this book. This book is about what has worked for this man. And I get a little leary when someone has success in an area and then writes a book about it. What works for this man may and probably will work for others, but faith is never a one size fits all. I think of it like a diet book. How many people will run to the bookstores when they see what has worked for this person or that celebrity, only to find that it does not work for them. I am not saying that the book should not have been written, only that as we read it, we understand that there are some great principles that are presented which may or may not play out as they did for the author.
  • Okay, one more thought. He begn the chapter by telling about a time when one of his staff members came and told him that he was leaving. Now I don't know all of the details, just those presented by the author. He states that he "asked the staff member if he was doing his daily devotions." When this was confirmed, he accepted his resignation. I was kinda hoping for a happy ending here, a bit of mentoring or grace, but instead he just accepted the resignation. I found this especially disappointing since the author mentions similar struggles in his ministry. But, I don't know the whole situation.

No comments: