"God is most glorified in you when you are most satisfied in him in the midst of loss, not prosperity." --John Piper

Monday, February 14, 2011

Partial Credit???

Radical, by David Platt, Chapter 4

Does God give partial credit? If we get a part of the answer but not the whole idea, does it really matter? Do we really want to take that chance?

Here is the question: What is the message of the Gospel? If your answer is, "God loves us," you only get partial credit according to Dr. Platt. Answering "Why does God love you?" is also a crucial part of the answer to grasp the entire meaning of the Gospel. I would agree.

So why does God love us? Because it is to His glory to love us. The difference is subtle, but significant. If the gospel's whole message is that "God loves us," then we are the center of the gospel, and it terminates on us. If it terminates on me, then my obligation ends with my acceptance of the gospel, and anything I do beyond that should please God. If He does it because it is to HIS glory, then He becomes the center, and my response is incomplete unless I continue to make Him the center, by loving Him and sharing His glory to others.

The greatest commandments, to love God and to love others, show us that this love should not terminate on us. The great commission tells us of our obligation to share His glory not only with others, but throughout the world. In fact, I believe that every command given in the Bible needs to be interpreted in the light of this. If we are the center,

No comments: