"God is most glorified in you when you are most satisfied in him in the midst of loss, not prosperity." --John Piper

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Head over heels

Ephesians 1:19b-23

That power is the same as the mighty strength 20 he exerted when he raised Christ from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms, 21 far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every name that is invoked, not only in the present age but also in the one to come. 22 And God placed all things under his feet and appointed him to be head over everything for the church, 23 which is his body, the fullness of him who fills everything in every way.

God is all-powerful. So in a sense, it is strange to hear God using "mighty strength" and "exerting" Himself. Job Chapter 26 touches on some of the strength of God, and then concludes by saying "And these are but the outer fringe of his works; how faint the whisper we hear of him! Who then can understand the thunder of his power?”

I like the words of the ESV, which translate it as the "immeasurable greatness of his power toward us." Now, instead of seeing God exerting Himself, I just stand back in awe as I witness His strength in raising Christ and placing Him as supreme over all things.

Christ is not just above, He is far above all things, past, present, and future. He is ruler in this age and the age to come. I love the idea that all things are under His feet (as in they can be stamped out when He sees fit), but He rules over the church with His head.

I need to keep His greatness before me. I need to see His glory and let that keep me focused, for I am far too easily swayed to sin. I also need to see His strength and justice, and remember that it is much better to be ruled over by His head than to be under His feet.

No comments: