"God is most glorified in you when you are most satisfied in him in the midst of loss, not prosperity." --John Piper

Friday, April 8, 2011

Your serve...

Ephesians 3:20-21

Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen.


Paul has just stated that we need to know and understand the not-completely-understandable. We need to comprehend the scope of the love of God, but in reality, that is beyond our understanding. In striving to do so, as we grow in this understanding, we grow in our walk with God. So to close this section with the statement that He is able to do far more abundantly than all we ask or think makes sense. This God of Paul’s is beyond understanding, yet we can understand that He loves us and works for us.


It is that next phrase that puzzles me, “according to the power at work within us.” Certainly we do not limit God’s ability to work for us, do we? Then I look back at the first half of the sentence again. Where does it say that God is doing anything just for me alone? Perhaps the idea that God is able to do more than we can comprehend has more to do with the salvation of many, rather than Him just helping me out of a jam or two.

To Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus forever.

Why is it that whenever I read the Bible, I see it as being all about me? God is amazing not just for what He has done in my life, but for what He has done in all things. And I am such a small piece of that. I think Paul recognized this. Paul seldom if ever spoke about what God had done for him in a personal sense. Rather, he spoke about how his weaknesses magnified God. How in spite of his failings, God was sovereign and in control.

That is a God worth serving.

No comments: